It is currently June 24th, 2017, 9:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to the Virgin Atlantic 'flyingwithoutfear' message board

As a guest, you can read everything and anything you want to without registering.

If you want to post a message or comment, you will need to register (see button top left). It is fairly quick and painless except for a few anti spam measures we have in place to protect you and us.

Take care

Paul & Richard
Co-Founders

Please note:
1. When you register, you may be invited to buy things - just press the 'pass' button and they will go away
2. You will be asked things like date of birth when you register. We suggest making one up! We have done our best to make this forum secure and to hide private information, but you never know...

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: A certain noise
PostPosted: March 19th, 2017, 1:13 pm 

Hi there!

I'm so excited for my first flight this week since the course in Gatwick. It's changed my life already!

I did have a query, just out of interest now (which is an incredible feeling!)

So on two separate flights, smaller airlines, (mainly europe bound) there was a distinct noise on ascent that I haven't heard on other flights, including the flying without fear flight. I understand all planes make different noises, I just wondered what it was. So I'm going to do my best to explain it.

On ascent it was a very loud higher hum (opposed to the thrust typical thrust sounds) and stops when the thrust is eased off into cruise. That's the best I can explain it!

Thanks for any help on this :)

India - flying with confidence! :D

Post subject: Re: A certain noise
PostPosted: March 21st, 2017, 12:15 am 
Site Admin

Um, don't know actually.. Could be a fan noise which you can sometimes hear from some aircraft during ascent. You would need to be sat in a certain part of the aircraft to hear it though. Could also be flaps coming in??? Depends on how soon after take off it was.

I am pleased that you are interested in the noises in a curious way :)

Post subject: Re: A certain noise
PostPosted: March 24th, 2017, 4:34 pm 

Thanks for your reply! Hehe, well I guess the fact it happened on two flights, and no one even batted an eye lid (apart from the past version of me) it must have been just a quirk of the aircraft. It was pretty much straight from take off until the thrusts were quietened. But yes, maybe it was just a squeaky flap! It was just so consistent, and my other half was curious too (he has never been worried about flying).

I can happily report I just got back yesterday from 2 days in Barcelona (practising flying is such a chore ;) ) and I was soooo much happier and better. I actually ENJOYED it! I didn't have stuff my ears with loud music on take off, I didn't even notice most of the noises. And I got to entertain the other half of all the facts I'd learnt about planes :D.

Here's to the next one!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]