It is currently May 24th, 2017, 3:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to the Virgin Atlantic 'flyingwithoutfear' message board

As a guest, you can read everything and anything you want to without registering.

If you want to post a message or comment, you will need to register (see button top left). It is fairly quick and painless except for a few anti spam measures we have in place to protect you and us.

Take care

Paul & Richard
Co-Founders

Please note:
1. When you register, you may be invited to buy things - just press the 'pass' button and they will go away
2. You will be asked things like date of birth when you register. We suggest making one up! We have done our best to make this forum secure and to hide private information, but you never know...

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: Manchester March 2017
PostPosted: March 25th, 2017, 3:02 pm 
Site Admin

Dear all,

Thank you for joining us at Manchester this weekend for our fear of flying...flying without fear course. We hope that you found it useful and we look forward to your comments.

Thank you
Your flying without fear team

PS to post a message, you will need to register. This can be quite time consuming due to anti spam measures so if you would prefer us to post for you, please just email [email protected]

Post subject: I did it!! Thank you!
PostPosted: March 26th, 2017, 8:34 pm 

I can't believe it...I flew without taking diazepam for the first time in 7 years. The day was a rollercoster and there were points where I wasn't sure if I'd go through with it and I did... I just thought 'Oh Sod It' and tapped away ;)
I want to say a HUGE thank you to all of the Virgin FWF team, and Sophie our group leader and all my fellow fear conquerers today.

Thanks so much,
Sharelle

Post subject: Re: Please click <here> then <+ Post Reply> to message
PostPosted: March 26th, 2017, 9:00 pm 

Cannot thank everyone enough. Felt confident and buzzing after the flight after avoiding flying all my life. Would recommend the course for any one who is scared of flying :D :D

PostPosted: March 26th, 2017, 9:42 pm 

Just completed Manchester Flying Without Fear Course 26th March 2017. What a day!!. My fears were far more deep rooted than I realised. Morning spent crying, laughing and unknowingly challenging my deeply held, entrenched thoughts. Atmosphere was very friendly and supportive. Participants all contending with their own level of fear, but all kind and understanding. All Virgin staff and volunteers were fabulous recognising the real fear we felt whilst encouraging us to get on the plane and explore the world. Special thanks to Jamie team leader and his group of ten participants - will think of you all when I next take to the skies. If you are looking at is forum, wondering if you should take the course, stop hesitating and just book it.

Many many thanks

Laura B x

Post subject: Thankyou !
PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 7:04 am 

All I can say is thankyou so much for helping me with this fear I never thought I'd ever get on a plane ever again but yesterday I not only got on I was calm !
Thankyou to all the virgin team for their empathy and professional informative course especially to Christian my team leader who was lovely and obviously loved his job .
IThankyou again

Lorna Williams

Post subject: FWF Manchester; 26/3/17
PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 7:44 am 

Hi guys

Just want to say a big thank you to all the FWF team who were so accommodating, so professional and so understanding. I am a frequent and very uncomfortable flyer and was quite sceptical about the whole thing prior but can honestly say that I feel a huge weight was lifted from my shoulders. Special word of thanks to Paul Christien, my team leader, who was a constant source of encouragement throughout the day. The thing that resonated with me the most throughout was the line about doing something different on the plane so in my case, that meant moving from my preferred aisle seat to a window and I was actually over the wing. I actually felt somewhat nervous whilst taxiing as the takeoff is probably the worst part for me but I was looking out the window throughout. When on the final roll down the runway, Paul turned to me and told me to look out the window as we took off so I did..... and the hugest weight lifted from my shoulders - I'd realised that my previous takeoff regime (closing my eyes, making a humming sound and tapping my feet) just heightened the anxiety and made any slight movement feel like the Big Dipper. I have no problem looking out of the window when up there but during takeoff was - before yesterday - a big no-no. Indeed, I managed to look out throughout, understand the wing movements, understand all of the engines noises, etc, all aided by our commentary from the absolutely wonderful Capt. Pete Legg, who I could have listened to for our hours - such an encyclopedia of knowledge with a genuine love of his job. Even the little things like using a drinks bottle as an altimeter to illustrate the reality of turbulence were a big help. A truly enlightening experience and I can't thank you all enough - would recommend this course to anyone looking to improve their ability to fly.

Post subject: Thanks so much to the Virgin Fear of Flying Team!!
PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 11:01 am 

I can't thank the team enough for a great day yesterday. For the first time in a very long time I got on the plane with no medication and no feelings of terror. I had stopped flying two years earlier and didn't think I'd be able to get on a plane again. This morning I woke up on my birthday thinking where am I going to book my next holiday! The best gift I could have hoped for. The talk from the brilliant Captain Legg was so informative and lighthearted, and the commentary throughout the flight put everything into place. David from cabin crew and Richard Conway also deserve a special mention, thanks for making the day enjoyable and keeping us all calm. If anyone has any level of fear of flying I would highly recommend this course, while I may never love flying, I now feel confident enough to know that I can do it without panicking and I can now look forward to my holidays. The day was very interesting and informative, but also humorous and lighthearted and at no point did you feel pressured. Thanks again to all the team and happy flying to everyone who was on the course.

Post subject: Re: Wonderful
PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 2:18 pm 

I had a great day on the course. I found all the information dispelled my fears and made me appreciate how my fear is self generated and not based on reality. As advised I did something different on the flight. Firstly instead of avoiding looking at the plane as I walked out to it and up the steps, I took in every detail and even touched it on the outside before I got on board. Then instead of sitting in an aisle seat over the wing which reduces my chance of accidentally seeing out (and being rigidly fixed playing games on my iPad) I sat at the back in an window seat and spent the whole flight looking out and thoroughly enjoying it. I was initially nervous but kept remembering that Im creating my fear and so I let it go.
Thank you to all the staff who were there - the mixture of facts, humour and compassion really worked for me but as a participant I had to want to let go of my fear. I also want to say a big thank you to Elle our team leader.
Cant wait to fly again.
Jenny

Post subject: Thank you
PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 9:44 pm 

After 13 years of not flying I really didn't think I'd ever do it again, but yesterday I did it! I had 'ummed and ahhed' about booking the course on and off for a few months, mainly because babies are on the cards and I desperately don't want to pass my fears onto them, not to mention my poor fiance having to get the train everywhere with me! I was convinced that my fears were 'too complex' and deep rooted for the course to be any use to me but I was wrong.
The morning was great, very informative and my group were lovely. There were a couple of things discussed that I hadn't even realised were an issue to me, so the breadth of the info was very useful to me. The psychological techniques were useful also, and a good distraction when needed (bruised wrist today though!)
I was 'fine' all day but when we got to the gate at the airport the nerves really hit and I really wasn't sure I could do it. Getting on the plane I made myself take a window seat so I could look out and match the noises (a big issue for me) to the functions i.e. when the flaps (ailerons?) came in and out. I'm not going to lie and say I loved the flight, though I did get more comfortable as it went along, but given that I couldn't have even contemplated going into an airport a year ago I'll take that!! Take off wasn't my favourite (I may have broked the guy's hand who was sat next to me! :D ) but landing (another big fear) was no big deal at all. I'm going to keep focusing on thinking of it as a boat on waves, rather than an aeroplane Xfeet off the ground, as my head still believes it might fall out the sky!! Also keep reminding myself I don't have to love it, I just need to be able to do it!
On that note, we're booking a weekend break for next month to put my 'skills' into practice... I'm determined not to let it hold me back any more!

Thanks to all the team... the humour throughout the day was a big plus for me in keeping calm. Jamie (team leader) and the group were wonderful and it was really inspiring to see so many people tackle their fears head on.

Post subject: Thank you so much!
PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 9:52 pm 

Me and my fiancée attended yesterday's course in Manchester. Short story we both got on the plane and now feel CONFIDENT to fly! I suffer really bad with general anxiety and up until yesterday hadn't flown in 3 years, with me it was fear of the fear but after completing the course can now say the fear has gone! My fiancée is a well traveled flyer but has always struggled with takeoff and used to cry and be hysterical however after the course yesterday she was perfect! I would recommend this course to anyone this is the best thing I've done in a very long time. What have a gained and lost... I've gained the ability to explore the world and lost the anxieties control over my life.
Thank you so much to my team leader Rachel supporting us both through the day, also to the course founders Richard and Paul! Huge thank you to Captain Pete Legg for giving up your time and sharing with us your extensive knowledge! To Karen thank you so much for noticing me suffering at the start and having a good chat with me at lunch time it really helped and ill be in touch with you soon in regards to some more treatment for my anxiety and everyday control. VIRGIN FLYING WITH OUT FEAR IS THE BEST GIFT YOU CAN GIVE YOURSELF OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 10:26 pm 
Site Admin

Dear Flying Without Fear Team,

Many thanks for the excellent course at Manchester on Sunday 26th March 2017. I hadn’t flown for 19 years due to my phobia of flying and had really given up on the idea that I would ever fly again. Having booked the course I was fully expecting to not be able to get on the plane towards the end of the day. But with your help I managed it and although I still have some way to go before I love flying it is thanks to your course that I’ve managed to fly again.

Thanks to all of the team and a special thanks to Phil our group leader. I’d also like to thank the other participants in our group who were very supportive.

I would definitely recommend the course to anyone with a fear of flying.

Kind Regards

Colin Reeve

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 10:26 pm 
Site Admin

I came to your course in Manchester yesterday. I just wanted to say a massive thank you. I think I'm finally cured! What an incredible day! Thank you from the bottom of my heart! Alison cain xx Sent from my iPhone

PostPosted: March 28th, 2017, 7:57 am 

Thank you so much to everyone involved with Sunday's course. I have always flown if there was no other option but hated it and would take diazapam and a strong gin to help (I now realise this mindset had set me up to panic!) I knew the course would help me having read all the testimonials but I did not expect this feeling of complete elation, like the world has been taken off my shoulders. I had cbt years ago for general anxiety but to have the thought processes linked with what actually goes on in the brain was so beneficial! I would say I went in at fear levels of 7/10 and came out with 1/10 (the fear will be there for a while due to 26 years if thinking flying = dying but I now have the tools and knowledge to manage). Everything was perfect, the humour complimented everything nicely and listening to people talk so passionately about their jobs was so comforting. Since Christmas I have been committed to appropriately managing my anxiety and this course has really been the icing on the cake as the things I have learnt will help me in all areas of life. THANK YOU EVERYONE SO MUCH

PostPosted: March 29th, 2017, 12:00 am 
Site Admin

Many thanks to the FWF team. On arrival I felt sick with fear, but having seen and met how many people were in the same situation I realised I was not alone. The FWF team were amazing, our team leader Rachel was very supportive throughout the day. However for me personally, Captain Pete Legg helped to conquer most of my fears with his technical aspects of flying. The flight was tense at first but soon became enjoyable to the point where I got up and walked around. The techniques you learn, along with the humour make it a great day. I will now look forward to flying in the future with the knowledge and relaxation tips I have gained. Thanks again Virgin Team. Regards Andrew Stewart

PostPosted: March 29th, 2017, 12:04 am 
Site Admin

Hi all

Just like to say thank you for a very informative day. I like many there were anxious about everything that could go wrong on a plane but with the excellent captain Peter clegg there explaining about how a plane works and the back up systems in place it gave me the confidence to feel safer in the plane it self.

The psychology was excellent and made u feel less alone in your anxiety knowing everyone has the same fears as you

Although I never gonna love getting on a plane. I know I can cope with it and I have now got the tools to deal with it.

Great day.full of ups and downs but I managed to fly and gave me a great sense of achievement.

Big thanks to all the team and colleagues for support

one last point to whoever is thinking of going on this course ..up until the night before I was cancel because I was sure the anxieties I had no one else had but it's given me a clear understanding as to why we think the way we do and I would recommend it to anybody who

Is undecided. It's only one day ..Nothing to lose only the fear of fear itself
S Beech

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 5:46 pm 

Hello all,

First off I'd like to thank everyone for a great day. It was well organised and very supportive. I think the thing that most struck me was how different everyone's levels of fear were - from never getting on a plane to someone like me who will still fly but is a mess all the way - and each one of us was catered for; whether it be via Captain Legg's Q&A or through the psychological/activity sessions.

Throughout the day the team leaders will make sure you're doing fine and I'd like to thank Paul for his support, you were amazing. I got on that flight and although I was still a little nervous it was nowhere near what it used to be and I was completely fine by the time we landed. Next week I start a job that will see me take multiple long distance flights over the course of the next few months so I guess I'll know for sure then but I'm definitely glad I did the course and you will be too if you're considering doing it.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2017, 10:00 am 
Site Admin

I attended the course on Sunday 26th March in Manchester with an open mind but not really expecting to conquer my fear.

The course was run extremely well by an excellent group of people who are knowledgable, supportive, caring, encouraging and with a genuine desire to get us all in the air.

My anxiety levels went up and down throughout the day and by lunchtime it was fifty fifty as to whether or not I would get on the plane!

The whole course was run with humour and I laughed far more than I expected given my anxiety levels.

Each session was brilliant - the pilots thorough explanation of how a plane flies, an insight into how well the cabin crew are trained and the knowledge they have to retain for each flight. The psychology session made me reevaluate how I felt about flying and more importantly why and that I had the power to change my thought processes.

As we all boarded the bus to take us to the airport I still wasn't convinced that I would get on the plane but get on I did! I had a moment of sheer panic as the plane doors were shut but as we started taxiing down the runway I was amazed at how calm I felt, something seemed to click and I found myself looking out the window and seeing how amazing the view actually is. We had the reassuring words of the pilot telling us what each noise was and what was happening.

I can't see I'm cured completely of my fear I don't think that is the intention of the course, and I won't be skipping to the airport but I now feel confident that I can get on a plane without the dread I previously felt and I can now control my anxiety and definitely won't be as nervous as I would have been. I am kind of looking forward to my next plane journey!

A big thank you to all the team, for their kindness, knowledge, support, enthusiasm and sense of humour. For anyone still reading and considering booking one of these courses - do it! I'm so glad I did and can't wait to start seeing the world

Lisa xx

PostPosted: May 5th, 2017, 11:23 am 

I can't believe what a difference this course has made to me. I would recommend it to anyone who is afraid of flying, for any reason at all, and it is worth every penny in my opinion!

All the staff are so supportive, approachable and friendly. No question or fear is too much trouble for them to take the time to answer/discuss and they say there is no such thing as a silly question.

The pilot's section telling us all about how the plane works, etc and the cabin crew's part were really informative and helps to put nerves at ease. The balance between making light of the situation with humour but at the same time taking everyone's fears seriously is perfect.

The therapists made the most difference to me when Paul Tizzard and Karen Dinmore talked to us. If you trust everything they say and put it into practice then it really does work. Changing my thought processes towards the whole subject of flying has helped me remarkably. I had a fear of feeling trapped in the plane once the door closed. Instead of sitting next to the window to look out, (making me personally feel less trapped) I purposefully sat on an aisle seat and did not participate in any safety behaviours, just as Karen had taught us. I tried to reverse my thinking too, instead of thinking the closed door was trapping me in, I thought it is a good thing as it is saving us from falling out of the sky (logical to most I know but fears are irrational!) I was nervous about the flight on the course but did a lot better than I thought I would. I now enjoy looking at planes in the sky and even wish I was on one!

I have now booked a trip to Lapland which was my motivation to go on the course so my daughter can actually experience the trip of a lifetime in the first place and also without me being in a state of panic.

Thank you to everyone on the course who helped me, including our team leader Rachel (2 other team leaders were really lovely too but can't remember their names sorry, could be Elle and Jamie?) Pete Legg, David Gott and especially Paul and Karen.

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ]