It is currently May 24th, 2017, 3:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to the Virgin Atlantic 'flyingwithoutfear' message board

As a guest, you can read everything and anything you want to without registering.

If you want to post a message or comment, you will need to register (see button top left). It is fairly quick and painless except for a few anti spam measures we have in place to protect you and us.

Take care

Paul & Richard
Co-Founders

Please note:
1. When you register, you may be invited to buy things - just press the 'pass' button and they will go away
2. You will be asked things like date of birth when you register. We suggest making one up! We have done our best to make this forum secure and to hide private information, but you never know...

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Leeds February 2017
PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you ever so much for joining us this weekend.

We really hope that you found the course useful. We look forward to your comments.

Very best wishes,
Your flying without fear team

PS To post, you will be asked to register and fill in some anti spam measures. If it doesn't come through quickly enough, please just drop us an email and we can post for you. [email protected]

Post subject: Re: Leeds course <click here> then add reply.
PostPosted: February 5th, 2017, 7:41 pm 

Absolute fab and informative day it has certainly helped me a great deal, I would definitely recommend anyone with a fear of flying to book on the course and stick with it. I have gone from a blubbering wreck to buzzing I can't wait to book my holiday. I would like to say a huge thanks to all the virgin team for today.

PostPosted: February 6th, 2017, 1:34 am 
Site Admin

From Andrew Alle (email)

I have just got back home after attending your flying without fear course at Leeds Bradford . What a day .What an experience .
Well done everyone on the course . Especially my team leader Michal.

My advice to anyone who is considering doing the course is Stop Looking - Get Booking

Thank you to all involved. It was very informative and well organised.

Good luck for the future
Regards

Andrew

PostPosted: February 6th, 2017, 1:37 am 
Site Admin

Thoroughly enjoyed the Course which was very beneficial.

Special praise is due to my Team Leader Kyle Allchin who did a superb job of informing , reassuring and encouraging our syndicate.
He really put in a shift .

All things considered a good Xmas present which helped me greatly.
Our Pilot deserves a mention as well offering insight and dispelling myths.

Kind Regards
Jane Landers

PostPosted: February 6th, 2017, 9:27 am 

Just want to say a HUGE well done to all of you yesterday, I was so proud of you all, you did so well. Lovely to meet you and be part of your journey.

Happy Flying.

Best wishes

Jules Hutchinson Virgin Atlantic

PostPosted: February 6th, 2017, 10:00 am 

I attend the Leeds Bradford Virgin Atlantic Flying Without Fear course on Sunday 5 February 2017. I cannot stress enough how informative and worthwhile this course is. I had been looking at the website for months before I finally booked the place and I’m so glad I did. I’ve never let my fear stop me from flying but I’ve always been incredible anxious and had to take mediation before any flight. I decided it was time to let go of the fear controlling my life. The course started early with a brief opening from Richard, the Co-Founder followed by an in-depth talk from Captain Dave and I immediately relax the moment he spoke. He taught us the physics of a plane (how it gets into the air and stays there, all about the role of the various wings, the speed and height), all about air traffic control, the different weather patterns you may experience and about turbulence. The psychologists on the course then talk to you about fear and how it works. They teach you techniques to deal with thoughts and feelings and it made me realise how much of the fear is in my head. Finally, we took to the skies! Captain Dave was amazing, he narrated the entire flight – telling us about the pre-flight checks, the noises, bumps, speed, height and the feelings whilst on board. The whole day was amazing – they give you the factual information needed to realise that whilst you may never love flying, you can learn to feel comfortable and safe. If you’re frightened of flying I highly recommend attending this course. Thank you Virgin Atlantic and the whole team for a great day.

PostPosted: February 6th, 2017, 1:47 pm 

Hi all
I would just like to say a massive thankyou to everyone for yesterday. It was a truly amazing experience. I have been terrified of planes for as long as I can remember, have flown once 18 years ago and vowed never again. Until yesterday! Huge thanks to Dave the pilot who explained every noise, action and sensation so we knew exactly what to expect. Massive thanks to gorgeous team leader Kyle who was an absolute star. The biggest thanks go to the other members of our team. So much understanding and support throughout the day. I'm now applying for a passport and off to see the Northern lights. Thankyou so so much to everyone involved...I honestly didn't think it would work but I'm feeling very positive. A wonderful gift and my partner says money very well spent. Happy flying everyone. Debbie.xxx

PostPosted: February 6th, 2017, 8:59 pm 

After 27 years of even the mention of the word "flying" with the help of all the people who work with flying without fear I actually flew! When our daughter said she wanted to get married in Portugal my heart sank but I said I would go. After months of worry that I felt certain I would not be able to even get to an airport let alone get on an plane myself and a friend booked onto this course. What a day! Dave our pilot explained how planes fly, the guys who help with the thought process were great using humour and facts (I still have the elastic band :) ) and Paul our team leader well I can not thank you enough. I froze when we took off and went straight back into panic mode, your straight talking and telling me I was going for a walk while we were miles up in the air, I wasn't going to give in to that challenge :) thank you and to everyone who is as terrified of the f word I cannot recommend enough booking in with these guys.

PostPosted: February 6th, 2017, 9:29 pm 

My heartfelt thanks to a wonderful team - Richard, Paul, Captain Dave, Karen and the amazing cabin crew who made a difficult day into one that was informative and supportive with lashings of good humour too. I don't think I've conquered my fears but I've faced them head on, and that was in no small way due to the patient encouragement of our Team Leader Justine - I can't thank you enough. I have a new-found level of admiration and respect for cabin crew - thank you to Jules too. From being someone who was terrified of the height issue when flying, I found myself looking out of the window during the flight and feeling amazed at the beauty of being above fluffy clouds with the sun bursting through - and how amazing we all were for being on that flight. This was all due to the thorough preparation and support we received during the day. Thank you so much and my best wishes to everyone else on the course. Sue x

PostPosted: February 11th, 2017, 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

Sent: Friday, 10 February, 19:48
Subject: Thanks
To: [email protected]

Hi everyone
Last week my daughter Kathryn Piek.... participated in your course at Leeds/Bradford airport and I joined her for the flight. We both want to say a heartfelt thank you to all the team for the information, enthusiasm and support. The day has really made a difference and Kathryn is looking forward to booking a holiday – with flight – this summer. She will be apprehensive but now she has done the flight with you she is confident that she can spread her wings.

I found the information fascinating. It was really good to have explanations of the normal events that take place before, during and after a flight and Kyle was really good at explaining “at the instant” so made it really relevant. I also liked the tip about the bottle of water.

I really feel this was an invaluable experience for us both and would recommend the course whole heartedly.

Thank you all
Suzanne Piek.....

PostPosted: February 11th, 2017, 1:46 pm 
Site Admin

Hello again,

I attended the fantastic Flying Without Fear course on Sunday 5th February in Leeds. Although nervous, I was looking forward to the course and conquering my fear of flying, until the night before, when I couldn't sleep, and had decided I would attend the course but definitely not get on the flight at the end of the day! I lay awake reading all the testimonials people had written, which really really helped me.

I arrived the next morning, anxious but determined to be brave. As soon as I walked into the room, met the people in my group, and my fabulous team leader, Kyle Allchin, I felt safe, and instantly more at ease. The day was utterly brilliant - the course leaders were calming, funny and understanding. The talk from the incredibly talented pilot, Dave, really made the day for me - simply understanding the noises the plane makes, and the sensations you feel, put everything into perspective for me. I realise now how safe flying really is! The explanation of turbulence was great, and has really put my mind at rest.

The talk we were given by the lovely Karen about panic attacks and why we have them, what they are, and most importantly, how to deal with them, was invaluable - not just for a fear of flying, but for any situation which is stressful or makes you anxious. I was raring to get on the plane by the time the flight came. Once we were on, I actually enjoyed looking out for and identifying the different noises and sensations. The pilot talked us through the whole flight, which was so reassuring, and interesting, and Kyle explained so many noises to us, and took us for a walk around the plane, and even talked one chap through a near panic attack brilliantly - he was such a kind, caring, understanding and reassuring man, that I can't praise him highly enough!

Part of the fear of flying for me was claustrophobia, and it had become so bad I couldn't get in lifts on my own any more. Well, since the course I've been getting in lifts on my own several times a day, which may seem trifling to some people, but is a huge achievement for me. I feel braver, calmer and more in control, and it's a wonderful feeling - like a huge weight has been lifted! On the flight, as we soared above the clouds in the sunshine (without swearing and gripping the armrest for dear life!) I truly appreciated how magical flying is, and how lucky I am to be able to do it, and now enjoy it! I also felt a bit daft, as I realised that nothing about aviation changed during the course of that day, but I did - I had built up all these ridiculous scenarios that I felt sure would happen every time I, or anyone I loved, set foot on a plane, and it was all nonsense. The course teachers literally changed the way I thought and felt, in just one day. One idea that particularly resonated with me, and has really stuck, is when Karen said our thoughts are only electrical impulses, and that just because we think something doesn't mean it's true (her example was, think to yourself, 'I am a banana' - just because you might say that to yourself doesn't mean it's true. I loved how daft that idea is, and it really made me realise how daft I was being).

I was becoming more and more scared of flying (and enclosed spaces) before I took this course, and there were some people there who'd not flown for over 20 years, or even at all in some cases, and this course helped us all. I have truly conquered my debilitating fear of flying, and just wish I had taken the course sooner. If you're in any doubt - do it! It will change your life. A big big thank you to everyone involved in providing this course, and a huge congratulations to everyone who attended the course - we did it!!!!

Victoria Edwards

Post subject: Re: Leeds February 2017
PostPosted: March 29th, 2017, 10:29 pm 

Me again.....I'm going to Spain tomorrow. First flight in 20 years (apart from on the course). Am really getting nervous but i will do it thanks to you guys. Thankyou.xx

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

Have a great trip...Please let us know how you got on.

Paul

PostPosted: March 31st, 2017, 11:02 pm 

I was fine ....Bit apprehensive in the airport but once on the plane i was ok. Usual fears crept in but twanged my elastic band and tried to focus on the stuff pilot Dave said. Was scared bit was ok. Mega proud moment when we landed. Felt amazing
Xxx

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 6:55 pm 

I did it...I was very nervous but no tears on the way to Spain. I remembered all the tips and what the different noises and sensations were. My partner helped tremendously as he is a regular flyer. Trip home was delayed which added to the anxiety so a couple of tears but again I recalled relaxation techniques etc and was fine. The views were amazing. Thanks again to everyone for helping to change my life.x

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]