It is currently June 24th, 2017, 9:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to the Virgin Atlantic 'flyingwithoutfear' message board

As a guest, you can read everything and anything you want to without registering.

If you want to post a message or comment, you will need to register (see button top left). It is fairly quick and painless except for a few anti spam measures we have in place to protect you and us.

Take care

Paul & Richard
Co-Founders

Please note:
1. When you register, you may be invited to buy things - just press the 'pass' button and they will go away
2. You will be asked things like date of birth when you register. We suggest making one up! We have done our best to make this forum secure and to hide private information, but you never know...

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Manchester November 2016
PostPosted: November 11th, 2016, 6:31 pm 
Site Admin

Dear all,

Thank you so much for joining us this weekend. We really hope that you got what you needed from the day and we look forward to your comments.

Very best wishes,
Your flying without fear team

P.S. To post your reply, you will need to register. This can be a bit of a pain sometimes but it is there to protect you and us from Spammers. If you lose the will to live trying to post, please send us an email and we will happily post it for you. Thank you [email protected]

Post subject: Manchester Fear of Flying Course 13th November 2016
PostPosted: November 13th, 2016, 10:58 pm 

Today I attended the Flying Without Fear course in Manchester. Having had a bad experience of doing a go-around on my last flight I had resided myself to never flying again and I genuinely mean that. A friend who had been on this course previously persuaded me to try this course. I reluctantly turned up this morning with the expectation that I would attend the information part of the course but not the flight, after a bit of a rollercoaster of emotions day I was able to have all of my questions answered and most importantly I found myself amongst people exactly the same as me!! I was supported by flying without fear staff that understood me. I was very tearful at one point and the support I received from all was overwhelming! Even Captain Pete gave me his hanky! As the day went on I found my self becoming okay with the idea of going on a plane today. (Not excited ill be honest). I was given techniques and theories that made me think that the flight was an opportunity I could not miss out on. When would I get the opportunity again to fly with a running commentary from Captain Pete, support from cabin crew and psycho therapists? Well I got myself on the plane and did the flight!! Richard and Karen spoke to me at length during the flight and along with the running commentary from Captain Pete I found myself actually engaging in conversation with other people on the flight and I even stood up as opposed to hanging onto my seat like I normally do. I am so proud of myself for going through with the course and I could never have done it without the flying without fear team. Each and every member of the team has taken time today to support me. So from attending this morning and never wanting to fly again I have just booked a flight to Paris for 2 weeks time. (Not quite long haul but we all start somewhere!) Thank you so much to the whole team I will be eternally grateful for you giving me back the choice of how to travel. Thank you, Sophie Dodgson

Post subject: Thank you
PostPosted: November 14th, 2016, 12:40 am 

Well today I met an extraordinary group of people. I had previously attended the Birmingham course back in July but ended up not taking the flight. So I booked on to the Manchester course and attended today, more nervous than the first time. I picked the nearest table to the door, and was glad I did. The people on this table were so supportive of me whilst dealing with their own fears and the team leader of the table " Mark" was brilliant. He was so supportive and let me know I could have as little or as much support as I needed and once on the plane offered to sit next to me to give me the best care he could.

My other hero of the day was Karen the psycho therapist, what can I say other than thank you, you were brilliant. Karen got to the bottom of my anxiety and helped me control it throughout.

I took the flight and loved it, the moment I landed I wanted to go back up.

Sticking with the group really helped me today and as Mark said we will get through this together and we did.

Thank you thank you thank you to the team at flying without fear, thank you to the team on my table"you know who you are" and thank you to captain Pete for his great talk and amazing comentry during the flight, but most of all thank you to Mark and Karen. Without you all I would still be on the ground.

Post subject: Thank you
PostPosted: November 14th, 2016, 8:59 am 
Site Admin

Having never worried about flying before the last time we flew to Tenerife I felt flying fear especially when the doors closed and I knew I couldn't get off. After avoiding flying the last few years I decided enough was enough and today 13th November 16 I did the virgin flying without fear course. We did extremely informative and educational conference based training carried out by pilots, cabin crew and psychologists which dealt with all my 'what if' questions and at 5pm we went to Manchester airport and did a 35 minute round trip flight to the Isle of Man and back cruising at 18,000 feet, when I did feel a little afraid I did what they had shown us and I was instantly ok, I had a really pleasurable flight in the end and would strongly recommend it to anyone with a fear. I found the support of others in my team and Austin Anderson our ex cabin crew team leader the most important element, although every part of the day helped me remove and cope with my irrational fears and worries. It was brilliant and I can not wait till my next holiday/s abroad, world here I come. thanks Virgin FwoF team
Kate (email thank you with permission to post)

Post subject: Manchester Fear of Flying Course 13th November 2016
PostPosted: November 14th, 2016, 2:55 pm 

Many thanks to everybody running the course yesterday. It was very well organised, informative and beautifully presented with great speakers. Unfortunately and despite completing the flight my fear and anxiety level was off the scale and I don’t think I am able to consider flying in the near future. I’m desperate to find a solution to my flying phobia this but I really don’t know where to go with this now.

Post subject: Thank you thank you thank you
PostPosted: November 14th, 2016, 7:37 pm 

Completed the fear of flying course yesterday in Manchester. A life changing experience. I came along thinking 'I'm here, but I can leave anytime' but stayed the whole way through and enjoyed the flight at the end. Not that I wasn't nervous, but the work that had been done during the day helped me rationalise my thinking and notice when the fear was creeping up (elastic bands!).
Paul & Karen's psycho therapy (not as bananas as it sounds!), the Amazing Captain Pete, David Gott and host Richard, and Mark our so very wonderful guide on the brilliant table of people I was lucky to be with. Never thought I would actually get on the plane, but I did.

Can't thank them enough, if anyone is wondering whether this would work for them, I do not think you would have a better chance of conquering your fears than this course. So happy for the many brilliant people I met yesterday who like me, have done themselves a huge favour!

Post subject: Reply To Anewell
PostPosted: November 14th, 2016, 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you ever so much for your posting. I am glad that you found the course well put together. I think that you are being very hard on yourself. Beating a fear is a process which takes different amounts of time for different people. It is not one thing for everyone, it is whatever works. You also go at your own pace. I would not give up. Maybe the course was not the right thing for you right now. There are lots of other things that you can do too to help. Such as CBT sessions. Generally, a lot of the people that attend our course have many fears as well as flying. If you are in that category, please don't beat yourself up. It is a matter of taking your time and finding the right sort of help that complements where you are right now. If you can find some other help to give you a bit of a boost with tackling the fear, we would love to see you back.

Take care and don't give up.

Paul and the flying without fear team

Post subject: Re: Click <here> first. Then <Add Reply>to post messages ple
PostPosted: November 14th, 2016, 9:24 pm 

I attended the Flying Without Fear course in Manchester yesterday and I would like to pass on my sincere thanks to all the team who were there to assist everybody with their fear of flight. I am very happy to say to anyone who is considering attending the course that at three weeks away from my 75th birthday, for the first time in my life I boarded a plane had a short flight. I had the time of my life, which I did not think I would do in so short a space of time, ie a one day course, and be able to overcome my problem, which I believe in the end to be purely fear of the unknown and being too stubborn to take it on. I would also like to thank the pilots on the plane for allowing me to step into the cockpit and have everything explained in detail to me - it was a wonderful moment. So for those of you out there who have fears, whatever they may be, just take a look at me at my age and don't waste your life not trying to overcome your fears. I can assure you that if you join the course you are in the hands of a great and very understanding team. I am looking forward to my next flight!

Peter Kershaw

Post subject: Reply to Paul and the team
PostPosted: November 16th, 2016, 1:52 pm 

Paul and the team
Many thanks for the reply and kind words of support. I will continue to try and find a way to beat this.

PostPosted: November 16th, 2016, 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

Dear Flying Without Fear Team,

I couldn't manage to register on the forum to post but please post this on my behalf and I am happy for you to use this in any advertising or promotion that you wish, I have already started promoting on your behalf to my friends!

I attended the Flying Without Fear course on 13th November at Manchester Airport. I'd had a previous technical problem on a flight which had left me with an anxiety that was worsening and ruining my love of travel. I had reached the point where I had panic attacks on every flight and had recently cancelled an important family holiday due to my fear, so I knew something had to change.
I found myself getting worried in the couple of days leading up to the course and even had a panic attack walking through the hotel doors then cried for the first 30 minutes of the day. I found this really embarrassing until I realised that the other people were in a very similar position. The Flying Without Fear staff were so kind and understanding and I even got a hug from Karen.
Captain Pete and David Gott were informative, funny and above all professional. They answered every question the group put to them regarding technical issues, safety and security. I am now so well informed about my perceived "fears" that I realise I had nothing to fear in the first place.
Paul and Karen's psychological session was incredible, and they have given me tools to control my negative thoughts and anxiety about flying for the future.
The commentated flight was a great finale for the end of the day. I managed to challenge myself and sat on the front row in a window seat, which I would never have previously done. The pilots performed every manoeuvre they would do during a flight (speeding up, slowing down, putting the wing flaps down etc) and explained what they were doing so we would recognise the feelings on the flight. Richard sat with and spoke to me the entire 35 minute flight, and I can honestly say that I enjoyed the experience!
I have to say a huge thank you to my team leader Zoe who was so lovely, caring and calming throughout the entire day. But I cannot thank enough the entire Flying Without Fear team for what they have given me, which is the chance to enjoy travel and holidays again. I am actually looking forward to my flight to Bratislava this weekend! I cannot recommend this course enough, and I would happily have paid double for what I have got out of it.

Thank you again,
Dr Frances Yarlett, a previous flying phobic.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2016, 12:59 am 

To: One And All
Re: Virgin Flying Without Fear Course

Thoughts and Observations

1. The course was effective, well organised, and for me at least, successful. I now look at jets once more with a feeling of anticipation of where I will now be able to go to. No longer do I need to think about using trains....

2. The staff were knowledgeable, self effacing, and genuinely determined to help their clients throughout the session via constant questioning, some open ended questions, others closed questions, and all with a very human touch. I know of so-called professionals from many other fields who could, perhaps should, learn a thing or two from the staff at this course.

3. The food was tasty - always important!

4. The overriding sense of community that the course provided during the day seemed, of itself, to be a very powerful spur to help all of us to get onto the plane and face our own fears. This cannot be underestimated, and was no doubt a carefully constructed by product of the learning sessions throughout the day. It made a big difference to me to know that I was not alone in this endeavour.

5. On a final note, thank you, sincerely, to all the staff involved. Each had a crucial role to play, each loved what they were able to offer during the day, and each has helped to make this individual a lot happier. To say that the course offers value for money would be a gross understatement.

Kind Regards,

Adrian.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2016, 4:39 pm 

I attended the course at Manchester on 13th November as someone who loved flying in the past and then suddenly became terrified (along with the development of lots of other anxieties) which meant I stopped flying altogether for the last 20+ years apart from 2 very short flights to Paris and Dublin which I regretted as soon as I agreed to them. The Virgin course has been really good and Captain Pete answered every possible "what if" question thrown at him with empathy and a bit of humour without being patronising. For me the technical side of things was really helpful and I'm now much more convinced that a plane won't fall out of the sky and it's just like a boat on water! The people I met were inspiring because they were all taking that step to deal with something that terrified them. There was a whole range of ages on the course but I was surprised to see so many young people there and I admired them for dealing with their fears head on instead of letting the years pass by like I have, and it made me more determined to be open minded about the course and what we could achieve. By the time it came to the flight I was very, very nervous but I kept thinking about what we'd learned and having like minded people around me really helped. I can't say I enjoyed the flight but I was able to relax through parts of it and the running commentary from Captain Pete and other staff reminding us what the different noises and movements were was great and helps you understand they're all normal and expected. I would recommend this course to everyone letting their fear of flying dictate where they will go in the world. I'm booking a flight to Hamburg in a couple of weeks and I'm hopeful this will be the start of more travelling and the end of the small world I've been living in for too long.

PostPosted: November 21st, 2016, 10:25 am 
Site Admin

My name is Catherine Hughes. I attended the above course following 20 years of being unable to go anywhere near an airport!
I thoroughly enjoyed the day. The staff were wonderful and put me completely at ease. I managed to get on the flight and actually enjoyed it.
I would thoroughly recommend the course to others. I can't wait to go on holiday.
Once again a massive thank you to all the staff on the day. We were really looked after.

Regards
Catherine Hughes

PostPosted: December 6th, 2016, 11:01 am 
Site Admin

To: [email protected]
Subject: 13th November's course in Manchester

To all the flying without fear team,
I am typing this from my son's apartment in New York having flown on the 18th (after an amazing flight - no fear)!!!! I took the booklet we were given on the day of the flying without fear course with me on the flight which helped to remind me of everything we had learned. It was so wonderful to understand what was happening at each stage of the flight. I even helped a very frightened young man!! He is now going to book a place on the next course in Manchester!
I would like to thank all the team for a really fantastic day on the 13th November. It was so good to be with other people who understood how I felt. The presentations were extremely informative and there was plenty of time for questions. The flight with commentary from Captain Pete was such a help. Our team leader, Paul, was really supportive and very patient- special thanks to him for all his help, it was so very much appreciated. I was able to walk on to the flight to New York with confidence-something I have struggled with in the past.

I wanted to thank you all for your help to overcome my fears. My flight back tomorrow will hopefully be just as 'trouble free'.
Please pass this on to all concerned especially Paul my team leader.
With best wishes
Michelle Cha...

Post subject: Re: Manchester November 2016
PostPosted: May 9th, 2017, 11:40 am 

Hi all

So I attended the fear of flying course in November and whilst I come away thinking the day was brilliant I was still abit nervous and anxious about flying. The problem was I had a panick attack on a flight in 2011 which I think was partly down to being stressed at work and ever since I have just been so scared. I was missing out on so so many opportunities like my girlfriend went to Florida with my daughter and I couldn't go as I was so scared about flying. I finally had enough of missing out as there's so many places I want to go. I flew with virgin on Saturday to Florida and I can't tell you how easy my flight was! We even experienced turbulence and I didn't panick. The breathing techniques I learnt on the course worked when need but to be honest I had a little cry on the plane as I couldn't believe how much I had missed out on due to a stupid fear. I can't thank you all enough you have literally changed mine and my daughters life so ever. I wish I could remember the individuals names to thank them personally. I will only ever fly virgin now and I can't speak highly enough of your company! Thank you so much

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]