It is currently June 24th, 2017, 9:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to the Virgin Atlantic 'flyingwithoutfear' message board

As a guest, you can read everything and anything you want to without registering.

If you want to post a message or comment, you will need to register (see button top left). It is fairly quick and painless except for a few anti spam measures we have in place to protect you and us.

Take care

Paul & Richard
Co-Founders

Please note:
1. When you register, you may be invited to buy things - just press the 'pass' button and they will go away
2. You will be asked things like date of birth when you register. We suggest making one up! We have done our best to make this forum secure and to hide private information, but you never know...

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: How do they fly for so many hours?
PostPosted: June 16th, 2017, 1:53 pm 

I feel a bit daft asking this, as I know they do, and can! But I'm curious to know how a plane can fly for 10+ hours and not have engines overheat or hydraulics wear out etc. Is it a case of the engines are cooled by the outside air or do they have internal functions that do this. And I always have a fear of hydraulic problems such as a pipe split and the pilots not being able to control the steering etc...

I am flying with you to Miami next February and am trying to get as much info as possible (as well as hopefully get on a course near me at some point). I think because I am travelling alone for the first time and for so long I need all the facts to reassure myself that it's all normal and nothing to be worried about :?

Thank you! :roll:

Post subject: Re: How do they fly for so many hours?
PostPosted: June 19th, 2017, 10:07 am 
Site Admin

These are not daft questions. Thank you for posting.

It sounds so easy to say this but the reason that aircraft can stay up for so long and remain so safe is due to lessons learned. It is an industry where truly safety has to come first otherwise there is no business.

As each decade passes, the leaps in learning and improvement around commercial aviation are enormous. One of the things that you will get an idea of when you join our course is the amount of back ups in place. We call this 'Redundancy' which is not normally a great word! Redundancy means back up systems. So, there is no 'one thing' that does anything onboard an aircraft. For example, there are two or three auto pilot systems all on separate, independent computer systems. There are at least two pilots and over about 9 hours, 3 pilots. There are back up hyradraulics, engine cooling systems, fire extinguishers - the aircraft can even take off with an engine failure no problems. In fact, we plan for that in our calculations. We have more power than we need. We have more strength in the aircraft than we will ever need and so it goes on....

So the reason it can stay up so long is that we have built on experience and learned the lessons to do so.

Hope that gives you a flavour of how much is in place for each and every commercial flight that you will ever take.

Best wishes,
FWF Team

PostPosted: June 19th, 2017, 2:10 pm 

Thank you very much for your response, it's much appreciated! I must remind myself about the back up systems every time I have a wobble.... I am looking forward to flying with Virgin as I have heard lots of good things about you. I've also treated myself to premium economy :lol:

PostPosted: June 20th, 2017, 8:47 am 
Site Admin

I am delighted to hear that. Premium Economy is great as you get that little bit more space which can make all the difference if you are a nervous flyer... Also, you could let Special Assistance know that you are flying and you are a bit nervous. They will let the crew know onboard which can be very reassuring for the nervous flyer.

Their details: 0344 481 4455

Enjoy your flight but more importantly, it is just a means of transport to get you to new places. It is factually the safest form of transport and that is beyond dispute. So, with that in mind, take care DRIVING to the airport as that is much more dangerous!

Best wishes
Paul

PostPosted: June 20th, 2017, 12:00 pm 

Thank you - I fancied PE because of the extra space mainly, makes me feel less hemmed in! One more question; how soon in advance should I advise Special Assistance as I am aware we are a fair few months away from next Feb at present?

I'm taking the train to Heathrow, still not as safe but safer than driving I think :D

Again, thank you very much for all your kind and reassuring words!

PostPosted: June 21st, 2017, 10:24 am 
Site Admin

Special Assistance, a couple of weeks before should be okay :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]